Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Royal Diaries: Elizabeth I

I have always been a reader even when I was a tiny human. So, imagine my surprise when I read Queen E's letters and I'm flash-backing hardcore to my childhood. "Why?" you ask? Because Elizabeth's letters remind me of the greatest books of my youth. The Royal Diaries series. And isn't it just a pretty damn good coincidence that I thought of that because guess who is one of the royals that starred in this series?


That's right, ladies and gents! Childhood meet Real Life. 
Now, it's been YEARS since I've read the Royal Diaries but I still was feeling some pretty strong nostalgia. 
The Royal Diaries are complete tonypandy. Sure, it's historical fiction so there's obviously some things that have been moved around a bit to fit the mold. But it's also historical fiction catered to children and young adults. That series laid a foundation for my reading habits and interests as I became older. I wouldn't have developed a love for Cleopatra if I hadn't read her Royal Diary. Same for Anastasia, Marie Antoinette, Mary Queen of Scots, etc. etc. etc.
There is no way to know what these young women thought when they were in their tweens but they plant a seed for kids to find out more.

So Queen E's letters were like candy for my inner child. But instead of complete tonypandy, these letters are R.E.A.L REAL!! Like, actual facts from the woman herself. Actual words! HNNNGHHGH I LOVE IT!

But what makes these letters even more awesome than they already are to me, is that we finally get a "voice" to this historical figure. We can listen to her talking when she's young, old, being a bad-ass, or trying to save her ass. We get a sense that she is a human being that we can tangibly see actually existing.
Obviously, Richard III existed. And obviously so did Caesar, but to see real paintings of Elizabeth and also read her speeches and private letters add a more colorful dynamic to her character that makes her more real. yes Yes YES! And now for my favorite E meme:


4 comments:

  1. It's so funny how the stories we happen to read as a child stick with us down to our very core throughout the rest of our life. The Royal Diaries series is tonypandy, but these types of stories are the foundations for our interests in people and topics later in life. I bet these writers are fully aware of what they're doing to these children's heads. Maybe that's another reason why tonypandy is so prevalent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of the Royal Diaries, but I kind of wish I had so that I could have read them as a child. Do you think that they have based the book on Elizabeth off her letters or speeches at all? And isn't nostalgia the greatest and the saddest, reminds me of the good times, but also makes me miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally have never been much of a reader and I have never heard of the Royal Diaries. Though it was interesting to read those correspondences between Elizabeth and her various subjects. I found it interesting the unique way she spoke to each person. How she worded each letter told a lot about her relationship to the receiver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also been a reader for life, and I haven't heard of this series! I think it's great how certain things stick with us. I also really liked your use of pictures.

    ReplyDelete