Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Powerful Queen

Queen Elizabeth is certainly unapologetic in her writing. She asserts her power through her words and indirect. As I read her personal letters, we get a sense of who she is a person. The way her letters show her power is inspiring. It is clear who holds the upper-hand in her relationships. I feel like we get to see a different side of the fierce queen through her words.  
I really enjoyed getting to read her personal letters, especially the ones that took on a romantic tone. It opens the door into her life outside of being the Queen everyone expected of her. Although at times her words were hard to comprehend, I felt like I was able to get a sense of how much she enjoyed her powerful position. From her persuasive letters to her sister, who locked her away in a tower. The movie did a good job of giving us a visual. She was trying to appeal to her sister through their family relationship, rather than as one of her loyal subjects. She was careful not to offend her sister but make her point known.  
Elizabeth has been my favorite avatar to date. I've always found her to be one of the most interesting monarchs. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with the idea that sometimes these letters were difficult to read. The language and sentence structure is pretty different from what we are accustomed to reading today. As for the actual content of the letters, I loved seeing Elizabeth assert her power when it was necessary. It gave me a sort of satisfaction seeing that happen. I did, however, find it sometimes awkward reading her romantic letters. I guess it just felt like I was reading something that should have remained private.

    ReplyDelete