Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Keep Your Opinions to Yourself



I had hopes for Elizabeth but I don’t think I could’ve been any more disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, I think that beginning was very powerful and set the tone for the rest of the movie and I don’t think production could’ve done a better job picking music that made every scene feel complete but I was still disappointed.
The purpose of the movie was to depict Queen Elizabeth’s journey from being a shy, soft-spoken queen to a more powerful queen. You can see her maturity as you see the difference in how she addresses her people and how she addresses the military. She went from not being able to get the point across clearly to being able to be confident and believe in what she’s saying. The only think I could focus on was how quick Sir Williams was to tell her that she needed to find a man. Queen Elizabeth had bigger and better things to worry about and he Sir Williams had the audacity to throw in finding a man on top of that saying that “she is only a woman.” I have never rolled my eyes so hard. She is a strong, independent women who don’t need no man. *inserts crown emoji* 

Seriously, what’s up with that? I get the whole find love and be happy sappy shit but a woman can only run a country if a man is by her side? Complete bullshit, count me out. I didn’t even want to watch the rest of the movie because I was so angry. Sir Williams can go fall into the gates of hell. I, personally, think that Queen Elizabeth did an exceptional job especially when we’re so used to seeing rulers taking advantage of their power. Kudos to her for not being a distorted ruler. Maybe I would be more thrilled about the movie if Sir Williams would have kept his unwanted/unneeded suggestions to himself but I was not a fan of this movie.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Courtney!
    I think it's interesting that you brought up the whole idea of a woman needing a man. As a 21st century woman myself, I can understand where you are coming from. This century (and the 20th century before that) is all about female empowerment and women's rights. I mean, women asserted their independence in a huge way in the 20's by wearing shorter skirts, partying, and being sexually open. The entire 20th century is littered with examples like that.
    But that's the 20/21st century where women in America really came into their own. Elizabeth was living in the 16th. At that time, common women needed a husband for everything. They couldn't own property, couldn't vote, they couldn't even have a public opinion. So, I see where you are coming from about her not needing a man (and she so didn't) but at that time, most women did need a man. I don't think Sir William was in the wrong for pushing it on her just because of the era they were living in. I just think Elizabeth was just an extremely progressive woman in some aspects, like with marriage and with religion.

    ReplyDelete