Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Queen Elizabeth


So in all honesty, I did not leave the film feeling like I had a good sense of who Elizabeth really was. I understand that the film was only focused on the early years of her reign, but I felt like there could have been a little less dance scenes and a little more badass Elizabeth scenes. The film intended to depict Elizabeth’s evolution from a timid, nervous, young queen to a more assertive, powerful queen. But even until the end when she orders the murder of all those bishops, it was Sir Francis that orchestrated it. The end was definitely her taking control of her identity by cutting her hair and all that business, and we are left to assume that following what was depicted on film, she finally took control.

The film was entirely focused on Elizabeth’s gender and the constant pressure on her to find a man. The “you are only a woman” lines were really, really annoying.
 By the end, I felt just as exhausted from hearing Sir William reminding her she needs to lock it down with someone. Not only was there pressure to run a country that as it war, but to then find a proper suitor on top of it! That is still extremely difficult in 2016! (Enter exhausted face emoticon).  So in that way, the film felt a little bit like a romance story with a monarchy in the background. But I must say the scene where she catches Duke Anjou in drag was pretty hilarious! He added some much needed comedic appeal.




One aspect I thought was interesting about the film was how they depicted Elizabeth as no virgin at all! I went in with an expectation that there probably were going to be sex scenes, but none that involved Elizabeth, so that was a little shocking. But it made the character seem more likable; she wasn’t as frigid as I thought she was. The first scene where she is dancing around outside with her ladies in waiting helped with that too. She actually seemed playful and free-spirited. I wonder if she kept those qualities after she was ‘re-born’ into the Elizabeth we now know; the pale-faced, wig adorned “virgin” queen we know now.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Krystle!
    I loved how you mentioned the idea of Elizabeth's virginity in the movie. I think I view myself more as a realist when it comes to history. I figure if there was a bustling brothel community in ancient Rome then sexuality throughout any culture comes to the forefront in any capacity.
    I like to think that girls in any era could fool around with whoever and make mistakes just like girls in our era do. The fact that they had Elizabeth as being unchaste makes her more real. Back then, I'm sure more women waited to get married until they had sex but I'm also sure women went with their gut feelings and let hormones lead the way.
    So to add the element that a QUEEN had premarital sex made the movie more likable and made her more real to me because it made her seem like a real person and not someone made up to be something she's not.

    ReplyDelete