Monday, April 25, 2016

An Interesting Viewpoint





So after reading, My Enemy, the Queen, I can conclude that I hate Robert even more than I did before. Lettice and Elizabeth weren't better either. I didn't really like anyone. It should be said, though, that I hate love triangles. I love romance, just not the triangle part. I had a hard time reading these sections from this book for one main reason, and I hate being the full out feminist here, but why is it always the girl blaming/hating the other girl in the triangle? Shouldn't they both be hating on Robert who seems to be playing both sides? Ugh. Like I actually hate it. And I guess one could argue that Robert had no choice but to play nice, maybe too nice, to the queen but that is besides the point.



OK so enough complaining. Moving on..... It was actually kind of interesting reading this story from Lettice's viewpoint. You can tell by almost every word that her judgment over everything was biased and untrustworthy. She was kind of blinded by her love for Robert that she made the Queen her enemy. The fact that she thought that she stole Robert from Elizabeth was frustrating. She might have got him in the end but I have a feeling she was never the one he wanted. Like she was second best. The fact that he kept their marriage a secret so long and how she always seemed to be ok with it and that she trusted Robert a little too blindly made her seem naïve of what was really going on. I mean, do you really think that Robert only had the eyes for you? I guess keeping you a secret means he loves you...

Sorry that was kind of harsh.... Anyway, her hate towards Elizabeth made the reader hate the Queen as well. Every time Elizabeth showed up it made me internally scream because I knew that Robert would have no choice but pretend, once again, that he was not married to Lettice.  You can see, through Lettice's point of view, the Queen's evil and manipulative side. She always seemed to "know" that those two were together and you can tell that she was calculating the situation as it progressed. Even though she didn't officially find out until later, she always seemed to hate Lettice for her looks and the way Robert might have been looking at her.


The Queen was put into a dark light where we were supposed to take Lettice's side and hate her as well. You never wanted the Queen to win. She was the evil character trying to manipulate everyone to get her way and make everyone miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment