Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Caesar's Life vs. Today's Society

I going to be completely on honest, before reading to I knew little to no information about the life of Caesar, and by look at the book of Plutarch’s Lives, I was apprehensive on what I was going to read. However, like everyone say don’t judge a book by its cover I came to found out the Caesar was a very interesting, and great noble leader. After reading Goldsworthy’s and Plutarch’s view on Caesars life, I had developed to like Caesar. Throughout my whole course of my career in school, I have always heard many people discuss the importance of Caesar; however, I honestly did not know what made him so famous. The information for the social history of the ancient world was very interesting and very eye opening, from all the different wars he was part of and the many family members he had through his life span. Since I am being completely honest about my knowledge of Caesar, if it was not for this class I probably would have never read this about Caesar’s life.



That being said I think that as a  society our attention spans and media engagements have changed over the centuries. As focused in the last blog we all have different preferred forms of medias that we use in our every day live. Therefore, as a I am personally a sound and visual type of person for me to sit down and read about Caesar took a lot of self discipline (but I did it!). Therefore, I would day that this book was challenging for me to read, I think what was the most hard for me was just all the different names and cities that I was unaware of so at time I had to reread parts to get a better understanding of what was going on. The difference of readers of back then to readers back in the day of Plutarch is how society is viewing forms of media. For example, I am really excited to watch the Rome episodes for class. This is where I think the difference is from most people are only relying on visual forms of media to gain information on historical figures, instead of reading older texts such as Plutarch’s Lives. Therefore, I think theses new forms of media being made to share these aspects of the past are informing those who would not read Plutarch’s Lives; however, I do think that reading these works of literature  such as Plutarch’s Lives is extremely important in understand the true events that took place. 

1 comment:

  1. I can relate when you said you knew nothing about Caesar before reading Plutarch’s Lives because neither had I. I am also a sound and visual learner so this made it hard for me to read as well, but what also made it difficult for me was the distractions of media. This made me want to take a break from reading and I would lose my momentum, which made it even more difficult.

    ReplyDelete