Monday, March 7, 2016

Not What I Expected


After watching the two episodes of the HBO’s series Rome, I found the social dynamic and storyline of that time period to be better understood. When reading Plutarch’s version, it was very difficult to depict the types of characters they were, at least for me with the language in which he wrote, and how they were seen through other people’s eyes. It also helped so see actors show the emotions of the characters.
A way that helped distinguish all the characters based on class and royalty/respect, was there clothes and the areas that they were seen in or living in. Caesar and Brutus was always shown in clean white clothing along with Antony and others apart of the "government." They were always shown respect (of coarse not at the end for Caesar...) and were obviously higher in class than the rest of society. The rest of society were shown in dirt streets and less lavish lifestyles. Even Lucious Vorenus, who was not a senator until towards the end, was shown in a house that was not that great in my opinion. Kind of "middle class" I guess.
The end where Caesar finally gets stabbed, and this might sound silly, but I actually forgot that was actually going to happen until it did. It was so sudden to me and the way he died was so brutal. Based on just the episodes I watched and the readings, I feel like he didn't deserve it that much... I was also shocked that Caesar did not say a classic line. His "last words" as most say. I know he was stabbed repeatedly, but I wished he would have said something to Brutus. I think the emotions that Brutus conveyed in that scene were fitting, but as a whole not really what I expected.
I couldn't resist this cute kitten.

4 comments:

  1. The cat picture reminded me of the scene when cicero first suggested that Julius be emperor for 10 years. like what was he doing with his hands. But I totally agree the film definitely helps with understanding what actually happened a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) On the serious note I hadn't thought about how the costumes helped with story telling but now you've mentioned it I have to agree. It really did help separate social classes and status in a way that would be hard if not impossible to portray in a book

    b) On the less than serious note I am totally digging that cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally wouldn't have noticed how the clothes helped to distinguish the characters, but I guess it just shows how much detail was put into this show. I agree that watching these episodes also allowed me to understand the story better. It's so hard to get a feel for the characters when reading Plutarch's version.

    ReplyDelete