Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Complaints of a 21st Century College Student


For me, reading Plutarch’s Lives was like reading fine print for several hours; both literally and metaphorically. Although bulky and somewhat dry in my opinion, Plutarch succeeded in captivating me at times. For instance, the pirate ordeal at the beginning of the biography was an effective way to both grab the reader’s attention and introduce the reader to Caesar as an entertaining character. I believe Plutarch was strategic in introducing the reader to Caesar with this story. Caesar’s actions upon being captured by pirates as a child evidence his perseverance, motivation, narcissism, and general attitude towards resolving conflicts. Moreover, this introduction provides a framework and foreshadows how Caesar gains his power throughout his life.

Literally me last night while trying to read the introduction before bed. Bad idea.
I think it’s important to keep context in mind when reading Plutarch’s Lives. Written at the beginning of the second century A.D., I can imagine the story of Caesar to be much more entertaining and relevant back then. For me, Caesar has always be presented as such a fictional and distant character so I find it hard to be fascinated by him; however, I can understand how his life and legacy could be much more enthralling to someone living closer to that time and context.

Throughout reading the text I found it increasingly hard to stay focused and motivated to finish the content. As mentioned in class, I agree that this is likely largely due to the plethora of distractions in the 21st century as well as shifts and developments in media. It’s no secret that print media is losing its popularity with the steady rise of electronic media. TV shows, movies, music, radio, the Internet, cell phones, etc.…. all seem to dominate print media in regards to entertainment in the 21st century. It only seems inevitable that this trend will play into socializing future generations and thus perpetuate the disconnect with print media. With that being said, this concept is not prescriptive and just a thought I would like to explore more sometime.

5 comments:

  1. I can I agree with you in how some moments captivated me while reading ceasars life. One of which is some of the battle moments where I found myself glued to the pages. I found the one event entertainingly to read when it was talking about how he and his army where at one point trapped and fighting with their backs against the wall until fellow legions of Romans came down and saved them including cesesr. It is shocking to me that this was a popular book, or one that they would give to young men starting their lives as discussed in class

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you mentioned Plutarch's strategy in introducing Caesar. You can get to know a lot about a person based on how they act, especially during a time in their life where they're in an impressionable age. You can tell by an early age that Caesar is above average intellectually (and also very over confident and arrogant). I didn't think about this when I read it the first time that he is setting up a framework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say before even reading your post I saw the picture and that made me laugh. Because that's exactly how I felt when trying to get through the reading. You make a good point when saying this was written way before our time. The way Plutarchs introduced Caesar was probably only half the man he really was, he really talked up Caesar to be this brave guy, I wonder if that's who he really was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point discussing how this book would have been popular back when it was written. While some of us found the pirate part entertaining, others I know did not. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that in today's society, we expect stuff to have to be blown up (I can't stop thinking about the Transformers movies right now... God help me) or littered with explicit language in order to find it entertaining. I found it easier to read when I first woke up surprisingly. I was definitely like the guy in the picture when I tried to read it at night

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect image to capture reading this book! Your last point about the increasing disconnection with print media is very interesting. It is so true that we are constantly bombarded with audio and visual stimuli and it can be difficult to just sit down and read a book ESPECIALLY one that is quite boring like Lives. Converting the book into an audio or visual form would make the material much easier to follow!

    ReplyDelete