Wednesday, February 24, 2016

All media is important

It’s pretty obvious that there are endless forms of different media, some of which have been around forever.  We use media to communicate with others and express ourselves.  For example, we have literature, films, photography, the performing arts, and many more.  However, now we have forms of social media that seem to appear overnight.  It’s almost impossible to try to keep up with.  Do you have an account on the newest social media app?  I probably wouldn’t know how to use it yet, but it wouldn’t hurt to try it out.


I think that all forms of media should be embraced because they all have something a little different to offer.  Reading a book and watching a film are two separate experiences, even if they are each telling the same story.  Painting a picture would allow me to create and express whatever I wanted, while taking a photo might limit me to show what is already in front of me.  These different forms of media can pretty much be enjoyed by everyone.  There aren’t many people who would say they hate listening to music or watching movies.  But for some reason, a lot of people seem to dislike media that involves newer technology.  Maybe it’s because we haven’t quite gotten used to the new technology yet, but I don’t think these new ideas should be rejected so easily.  Just like older forms of media, these “new” types can still be viewed as ways to communicate and express ourselves. 


Of course, I still think it’s fair to prefer certain forms of media over others.  Most days, I would probably rather watch a movie than read a book.  In regards to social media, I would prefer to use Facebook over Twitter.  One type of social media that I use the most would be Snapchat.  I know a lot of people see it as pointless, but I see it as a way to keep up with my friends that I don’t see that often.  Instead of texting them all the time (which I don’t like to do anyway), we can send snapchats to show each other what we are currently doing in our lives. 


My main point is that all forms of media have something different and valuable to offer.  Some types may only appeal to certain people, but that doesn’t mean it is useless or pointless.  Each different form can be used for something different and we can find new information in each place we look.  

No comments:

Post a Comment